Schools in Manitoba


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Right to Homeschool
Do parents have the right to homeschool their children?

Yes. The rights and responsibilities of parents for homeschooling their children are found in The Public Schools Act. For more information, see Legislation. Parents, legal guardians, or any person designated by parents or legal guardians may homeschool.

Can more than one family homeschool together?

A parent may homeschool children from two families.

Can a family designate another person to homeschool their children?

The person providing the education can be the parents or someone the parents have designated.

Is homeschooling monitored in any way?

Parents must notify the Homeschooling Office of their intention to homeschool and provide a program outline every year. Parents are also required to submit January and June Homeschooling Progress Reports annually.

Homeschool Liaisons may contact you regarding your program outline or your child’s progress.

Is funding available to parents to homeschool their children?

No. Provincial funding is not available to families who homeschool.

What does it cost to homeschool?

There is no charge to homeschool. Costs to acquire the resources to ensure an appropriate education vary according to the curriculum selected, the subjects taken, and the grade level of the student.

Does the Homeschooling Office provide a home study package?

No.  Parents whose choose to homeschool their children are responsible for obtaining materials and resources for the program of study.

What subjects are required?

The Program Outline must include language arts, mathematics, science and social studies. It is recommended physical education, and options such as arts education (e.g. music, drama, visual arts, dance), other languages, and career development be included.

Must a homeschooler follow Manitoba curriculum?

Parents may choose to use Manitoba curriculum as one of their curriculum options, but there is no requirement to do so. See Curriculum Options

Can parents homeschool their children and also enrol them for some courses in a school?

A homeschooled student may enrol in a public or independent school provided the school agrees to this arrangement. Parents generally make such arrangements so that their children can take specific courses (e.g., Band, Physical Education/Health Education, Computer Science) or courses that parents feel that they cannot adequately teach (e.g., Physics, Senior Years Mathematics, other language).

How do I access specialized services for my child?

Services such as speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, psycho-educational assessments and programming are the responsibility of the parent.

For more information, contact the Homeschooling Office.

Does a homeschooled student have to write Manitoba provincial tests?

Homeschooled students are not required to write provincial tests, but they may do so. If parents choose to have their children write these tests, they should make arrangements with their local school well in advance so that accommodations can be made.

Does the Homeschooling Office grant high school credits or issue marks transcripts?

No. Only public or funded independent schools grant high school credits and issue marks transcripts.

Is my homeschooled child eligible to receive a Manitoba High School Diploma?

Homeschooled students are not eligible to receive a Manitoba High School Diploma unless they have fulfilled Manitoba’s graduation requirements.

Homeschooling Notification
At what age can homeschooling notification start?

A child may be a notified homeschooled student in September of the calendar year in which he/she turns five. Note that children must be notified homeschoolers on or before their seventh birthday.

At what age does a student no longer need to be a notified homeschooler?

Homeschooling notification is no longer required when a student enrolls in a public or independent school, reaches the age of 18, or completes Grade 12.

What is the process to homeschool in Manitoba?

There are four steps in the process to homeschool in Manitoba: Notifying, Processing, Confirmation and Reporting.

STEP 1: Notifying
Parents complete and submit a Student Notification Form (Adobe PDF Document 155 KB) for EACH school-age child every year they are homeschooled.

STEP 2: Processing
The Homeschooling Office processes the Student Notification Form. Homeschooling liaisons may contact parents to clarify information. A Student Notification Form for any child who was notified in the previous school year as a home school student will not be processed until the both the January and June Progress Reports have been received by the Department.

STEP 3: Confirmation
The Homeschooling Office mails a Confirmation of Notification Letter to parents after Student Notification Forms are processed.

STEP 4: Reporting
Parents complete and submit a January (Adobe PDF Document 167 KB) and June (Adobe PDF Document 156 KB) Progress Report for each student annually.

Where do I obtain a Homeschooling Notification Package?

Contact the Homeschooling Office by telephone (204-945-8138) or by email  to request a Homeschooling Notification Package or download and print the package from this site.

Are parents required to notify their school division or neighbourhood school?

There is no legal requirement for parents to notify their school division and/or neighbourhood school. If the student is currently attending a school, it is suggested that parents notify the school of their intention to homeschool.

What if I lose my forms or need another copy?

Call or email the Homeschooling Office and new forms will be sent to you, or download and print all of the forms, including:

What happens when I make contact with the Homeschooling Office?

As Homeschooling Liaisons are assigned by geographical area, you will be asked where you live. Your Liaison will assist you with any questions you may have.

What if my child has a medical condition and unable to attend school?

Parents must consult with their local school principal, and if necessary, alternate arrangements may be made.

Can I homeschool a child with special needs?

Students with special needs require appropriate educational programming to meet their individual learning needs. Consultation with a Homeschooling Liaison is advised.

Planning for Success
What factors are likely to lead to successful homeschooling?

The most important factors are:

  • Developing a well thought out educational plan for each child.
  • Obtaining adequate and appropriate resources and teaching materials for each child, whether these are programs that have already been developed (e.g., Independent Study Option courses, Structured Curricula) or the materials and activities necessary to deliver a child-centred approach.
  • Monitoring, evaluating and recording each child’s progress, and providing on-going feedback.
  • Ensuring Student Notification Forms, and January and June Homeschooling Progress Reports are submitted annually.
Do I need to keep my homeschooling records?

An important part of effective instruction is evaluating and documenting a child’s progress. A portfolio containing samples of a child’s work can be used to record and show growth over time. It is also beneficial to maintain copies of your homeschooling Confirmation of Notification Letter, and January and June Homeschooling Progress Reports.

Enrolling in School
How do I enrol my children in a public or independent school?

Contact the school principal. Parents may be asked to provide evidence of their child’s homeschooling program.

If a student moves from homeschooling to full-time attendance in a school at a point during the school year, parents are to inform the Homeschooling Office so that accurate records can be maintained.

If parents decide to enrol their children in a public or independent school, who decides at what grade level the children will be placed? Will the children get any credit for learning which has taken place at home?

Principals of schools are responsible for making grade level placement decisions, as well as for determining whether non-Manitoba course completions should receive Manitoba Senior Years credit(s). For more information, see Evaluating Non-Manitoba Course Completions for Senior Years Credits.

For this reason, it is strongly recommended parents demonstrate what their children learned and how well they achieved the goals of their homeschooling program by providing samples of work collected over time to the receiving school.