Annotated Descriptor for Deaf/HOH Level 3 (HOH3)
The student is confirmed to have a permanent bilateral severe to profound hearing loss (based on a comprehensive assessment administered by a qualified specialist) that affects communication so profoundly that s/he requires student specific planning, extensive adaptations and support throughout the school day to participate effectively and benefit from instruction in the educational setting.
Provide concrete and concise descriptions of the most recent observations, informal and specialized assessment data (including dates, roles/titles and names) and the impact this may have on student learning related to each of the following:
- A recent audiogram (within two years of application) -should include speech reception threshold (SRT).
- Degree of hearing loss, e.g., severe to profound bilateral loss
- A brief summary of hearing history, including age at diagnosis and experience with and use of amplification.
- Student’s use of amplification and functional benefit in the classroom on a day-to-day basis.
- Communication skills, including a description of the student's primary communication mode (oral/sign).
- Include observations and assessment information indicating receptive and expressive language skills
- Indicate whether the student's hearing loss is stable, unstable or degenerative.
- A brief summary of the supports/adaptations the student requires throughout the school day to:
- achieve curricular outcomes or individual goals
- communicate effectively in school/community settings
- Specify student-specific learning opportunities or interventions required throughout the school day for self-direction, daily living skills, behaviour, communication and academics. Indicate roles of support personnel and time required (e.g., clinicians, specialists, educational assistant, ASL interpreter).
- Identify division, school and/or outside supports needed. Indicate nature of support, including amount of time, types of materials (e.g., respite, therapy).