Graduation Requirements

Alternative Ways of Earning Credits

Students are encouraged to consult with their school counsellors for more information on any of the alternatives listed below. Note that fees may be charged for some of the following alternatives, depending on local school or school division policies.

Adult Learning Centres

Adult learning centres offer a range of high school credit courses for adult learners. For more information, visit the Directory of Certified Adult Literacy Programs & Adult Learning Centres.


Students can earn up to two (2) credits for successful completion of the Cadet basic and advanced training programs. The Cadet credits are recognized only as additional credits beyond the minimum 30 credits required for high school graduation.

For more information, see the Policy for Recognition of Completion of Cadet Training Programs (PDF Document 124 KB).

Career Development Internship

The Career Development Internship (CDI) credit option is intended to recognize and encourage the skills development and experience students acquire through internships. Student may earn up to two (2) CDI high school credits for an unpaid internship. For more information, visit Career Development.

Challenge for Credit Option

The Challenge for Credit Option provides a process for students to demonstrate that they have achieved learning outcomes as defined in the Manitoba curriculum for a particular course.

Credit for Employment

Credit for Employment (CFE) allows students to earn high school credit for paid work experience and will also encourage and recognize the skills development and experience gained through employment. Students may earn a maximum of two (2) CFE credits towards graduation. For more information, visit Career Development.

Credit Recovery

Credit recovery programs help students stay in school and graduate on time. Credit recovery is not intended to replace programs that already exist; rather, it helps students succeed by providing them with an in-school alternative to achieve learning outcomes they previously attempted to achieve in the classroom.

Return to top of page

Distance Learning Course

Distance learning is a method of accessing courses of study even though learners and their teachers, instructors, or tutor/markers may be in different physical locations. Teacher Mediated Option (TMO) courses and Web-Based Courses (WBC) are available to students in Manitoba. For more information, visit Distance Learning.

Duke of Edinburgh Award Program

The hours that Manitoba students accumulate through their participation in the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award program can be used towards credits for high school graduation. For more information, see the Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Brochure (PDF Document 73 KB) .

High School Apprenticeship Program

The High School Apprenticeship Program (HSAP) allows students to begin apprenticeship training while in high school. It combines regular high school instruction with paid, part-time, on-the-job apprenticeship training. Students may earn up to eight (8) credits towards graduation and collect apprenticeship hours. For more information, view the HSAP Brochure (PDF Document 239 KB).

International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement Courses (Under Review)

Students may take Grade 11 and Grade 12 International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP) courses for credit. Schools offering these courses must ensure that students do not receive credit for similar courses based on Manitoba curricula. Students must write the applicable Manitoba Grade 12 Provincial Tests in language arts and mathematics.

Private Music Option

Students can obtain up to four (4) additional credits beyond the minimum 30 credits required for provincial graduation upon successful completion of Royal Conservatory of Canada or Conservatory Canada exams. For more information, visit the Private Music Option.

Return to top of page

Recognizing Post-Secondary Courses for Dual Credit

Post-secondary courses can be offered to students while they are attending high school or an Adult Learning Centre. Upon the successful completion of a post-secondary course, a student earns a post-secondary credit which counts toward fulfilling the credit requirements for high school graduation.

Royal Winnipeg Ballet

Students can earn credits when they are registered in the senior levels of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet professional program.

School-Initiated Courses and Student-Initiated Projects (Under Review)

School-Initiated Courses (SICs) are curricula developed by school divisions/schools to meet local needs and interests. Student-Initiated Projects (SIPs) are curricular projects that students develop based on their interests. Students may obtain credit for a maximum of eleven (11) SICs and three (3) SIPs across their Senior Years. For more information, visit Locally Developed Curriculua: School-Initiated Courses and Student-Initiated Projects.

Special Language Credit Option

There are two pathways where students may be awarded up to four (4) special language credits:

  • By presenting recognized non-Manitoba credentials (transcripts, report cards, certificates of standing, etc.) that demonstrate prior instruction or proficiency in languages other than English or French.
  • By successfully completing special language examinations.

For more information, visit the Special Language Credit Option.

Return to top of page

Substitution of Credit

In exceptional circumstances, and in discussion with parents/guardians, a school administrator may approve the substitution of a maximum of two (2) optional course credits for two (2) compulsory credits (Grades 9 to 12) toward the Manitoba High School Diploma.

Summer School

InformNet courses provide students with daily instruction, assignments, and evaluation through regular email and web-based interaction from a certified high school teacher. Summer session is open to all students in Manitoba who have not successfully completed a course(s) during the regular academic year or wish to improve their passing grade. For more information, visit InformNet: Manitoba’s Online High School.

Transfer to Manitoba

Students may transfer to the Manitoba school system from another jurisdiction. They can have their high school courses evaluated and accepted as Senior Years credits by local school principals. For more information see the document Evaluating Non-Manitoba Course Completions for Senior Years Credits.

Return to top of page