Information for Students

Post-Secondary Education in Manitoba

There are different types of post-secondary institutions in Manitoba. Follow the links below to find out more.

Public Post-Secondary Education Institutions

Manitoba’s public universities and colleges offer a wide-range of programming to meet the needs of learners and the Manitoba job market. Institutions have physical locations throughout the province and many also offer online programming, extending their reach to almost all of Manitoba’s communities. Manitoba’s public post-secondary institutions are listed below.

List of Public Post-Secondary Institutions

Private Vocational Instiutions

Private vocational institutions (PVI) offer employment training in a wide range of occupational fields. Programs are taught in the classroom, through practicums, by distance education or correspondence, or through a combination of the above methods. Institutions are usually privately owned and operate as businesses. They do not receive direct financial support from government.

Private vocational institutions often work with small groups of students rather than large classes, and offer:

  • flexible learning schedules
  • enrollment at many different times during the year
  • compressed programs that deliver training over a shorter time

In Manitoba, PVIs must be registered if they offer programs of instruction with both:

  • a minimum of 40 hours of instruction
  • a minimum of $400 in total costs

It is important that students ask about the institution’s registration status before signing an enrolment contract. If an institution is not registered and offers a program that should be registered, this is against the law. If you enrol in an unregistered institution or an unregistered program, our legislation doesn’t protect you. Some schools are exempt from registering with our office. Please contact the Private Vocational Institutions Branch to determine if a school has been exempted from our registration requirements or if it should be registered.

List of Private Vocational Institutions

Other types of Institutions
Religious Institutions

Religious institutions offer a variey of programming, including various credentials in theology. They also have the authority to grant degrees, a per The Degree Granting Act.

List of Private Vocational and Religious Institutions

Private Trainers (including Flight Schools)

Private trainers offer employment training in a wide range of occupational fields. Programs are taught in the classroom, through practicums, by distance education or correspondence, or through a combination of the above methods. Institutions are usually privately owned and operate as businesses. They do not receive direct financial support from government. Private trainers are not regulated under the Private Vocational Institutions Act and Regulations. They are often regulated by other legislation or accreditation bodies.

Planning for your future

How do I plan for my future?
Manitoba Student Aid : Planning for your Future

Information for Prospective and Current Students

Before enrolling in any post-secondary program, you should research your field of study and your program options. Gather information about your post-secondary education and be aware of your rights and responsibilities. This will help you make informed decisions regarding the training you'll need to achieve your career goals.

Research Your Profession

Before choosing a program and an institution, you should research the field you are interested in. Find out about:

  • employment opportunities available in Manitoba
  • starting wage and salary ranges
  • possible additional requirements that may be needed to obtain employment if the profession is regulated by a professional or regulatory body.

Here are some tips for conducting this research:

  • Industry is the best source of information on whether a training program is recognized by industry.
  • Contact individuals already employed in the field to find out:
    • what their starting wage or salary range was
    • if they found employment easily upon graduation
    • where they obtained their training
    • their overall satisfaction with their job and education.
  • If the field is regulated in Manitoba, contact the appropriate regulatory or professional body to get more information about the profession and any training or specific requirements that may be needed (e.g., such as completing a provincial exam).
Choosing a Program

After you have researched your chosen field, you should look at several post-secondary institutions that offer the training you need. It is smart to make a checklist to compare facilities, services and fees.

We recommend that you visit the institution and ask for information and written material about the program you are interested in. You should also tour the institution to see the classrooms, equipment and facilities available to students.

Some factors to consider when comparing programs at various institutions are:

  • Is the institution registered?
  • What is the total program cost (e.g., tuition, books, uniforms, labs, kits, supplies, exams)?
  • Is the program eligible for student financial assistance?
  • Are non-repayable funds, like bursaries and scholarships, available?
  • What is the length of the program (theory versus practical versus practicum hours)?
  • What is the curriculum (e.g., what modules and components are included)?
  • What is the delivery mode (e.g., part-time, full-time, online or correspondence)?
  • What is the instruction type (e.g., instructor-led via lecture, online instructor, self-directed, independent learning)?
  • What is the instructor to student ratio?
  • Can you repeat subjects if required, and is there a cost attached to doing so?
  • Is tutoring available and is there a cost attached? If so, how much?
  • What are the admission requirements?
  • What is the practicum and work experience availability? Who is responsible for arranging practicum?
  • What equipment is available for student use, and what is the equipment quality?
  • Are tools and books on loan or must they be purchased?
  • What are the institution's rules and policies?
  • What facilities are available (e.g., lunch room, study hall, classroom size)?
  • What credential is awarded to graduates (e.g., certificate or diploma)?
  • Is the credential recognized for employment?
  • Is information available on the number of former students who found training-related employment?
  • Is job placement assistance available through the institution?
  • Is the profession regulated? Check with the appropriate regulatory or professional body to determine if this program meets their requirements for program accreditation.

International Students

Attending a Private Vocational Institution

Enrolment Contract Requirements

After you have selected a private vocational institution, applied for admission, and been accepted, you will be asked to sign a student enrolment contract.  The contract should contain the following items:

  • the name and address of the school
  • the name of the program
  • the start and end dates of the program
  • a reference to the tuition refund regulations (M.R.237/2002 sections 16-27).
  • the date the contract starts
  • the name, mailing address and signature of the student or guardian
  • the name and signature of a registrant who has the authority to enter into the contract on behalf of the institution
  • a financial statement, in Canadian currency, itemizing all fees to be charged
  • the payment schedule, if you are paying by instalments
  • a copy of the program curriculum outline, including a list of courses in the program of study and the duration of each course in hours
  • the address where the program will be provided
  • the signature of the person who will be responsible for tuition payments, if the student is under 18

Once you have signed the contract, the school must give you a fully executed, signed contract (not a copy) and maintain a copy for their records. Keep your original copy in a safe place. The contract is a legally binding agreement between you and the school. Any amendments made to your student enrolment contract must be agreed to and signed by both you and an authorized institution representative.
PVI contracts must contain the following statements:

  • This contract is subject to The Private Vocational Institutions Act and the regulations made under that act.
  • The private vocational institution providing the program of instruction is prohibited by law from guaranteeing employment to any student or prospective student.

Enrolment contracts for programs that do not require approval from our office must include a statement that the program is exempt from registration under the act, and that students are not protected by provincial legislation and may not file a claim against the Training Completion Fund regarding the program of instruction.

If you withdraw or if your enrolment is terminated by your institution, you may be entitled to a tuition refund under the law (based on Sections 16-24 of the Private Vocational Institution Regulation).
  • If you choose to withdraw from your program and terminate your student contract, you must do so by providing written notification to your institution, and verify that it has been received. Your withdrawal becomes effective on the date that your written notice is received. If you are receiving student financial assistance, you must also notify your funding source.  You are still considered to be enrolled in the program until the school receives your written notice, and you will be charged for any hours of instruction delivered during the time of your absence.  If you don't notify your school right away, you could end up paying significant additional costs.

NOTE: if you have completed more than two-thirds of your program, a refund will not be issued.

  • It is your responsibility to ensure that you understand the full costs and the fee structure for the program in which you register. Fees may include a registration fee, tuition fee, fees for books, course materials and equipment, a training completion fund fee and other administrative fees.
  • A non-refundable registration fee may be charged by a school operator. The registration fee must not exceed $225.
  • All registered private vocational institutions must use our legislated tuition refund policy.
  • The school must refund the total cost of any books or supplies that you paid for, but did not receive, before withdrawing or being discontinued.
  • If you have a student loan, refunds are applied directly to your student loan account.
  • If you were funded by a third-party organization, your refund would be sent to your funder(s).
Training Completion Fund
When you enrol in a training program, you are required to pay a fee equal to one percent of tuition into a Training Completion Fund. This fund was established to protect students.  Should an institution close unexpectedly, students can either complete their training elsewhere or receive a tuition refund. Alternate training must be arranged through our office.
If you need to make a claim through the Training Completion Fund, please contact our office by email at or call 204-945-8507.  You have six months to make a claim following the closure of your school.


Schools have an internal process in place for dispute resolutions.  We encourages you to first register your complaint using the school's internal process to resolve the complaint.
In making a complaint to your school administration, we recommend the following:

  • Make your complaint in writing.
  • Be factual and consider using point form.
  • Refer directly to identified parts of the student contract, the student handbook or the formal outline of the registered program.
  • Clearly state the resolution or outcome you wish to see from the complaint process.
  • Give the school a reasonable deadline to respond in writing to your complaint.
  • Keep copies of everything you submit with your complaint and everything you receive concerning your complaint.

If you are unable to reach a satisfactory resolution with the school, contact our office to file a formal complaint. Complaints must be filed within 90 days after you receive a written decision from the school.
Private Vocational Institutions Branch will review your complaint to see if the school is complying with legislative requirements.  Private Vocational Institutions Branch will work with the institution to ensure it is operating in compliance with The Private Vocational Institutions Act and Regulations.  Please note that we can only investigate complaints that fall within the scope of The Private Vocational Institutions Act and its regulation.

Formal complaints must be completed by the student who is listed on the student contract. Complaints cannot be made by a third party on their behalf. You will be notified of our decision, in writing, within 10 to 15 business days.

Complete the formal complaint e-form and submit the form with all attachments.

School and Program Designation for Manitoba Student Aid

What is designation?

Schools are evaluated to be sure they meet the criteria for student assistance programs and whether they are a good or poor return on investment for students. Certain types of programs are never eligible for designation, but most programs are (or can become) designated.
Students can only use government student loans to attend designated programs at designated schools. However, even designated programs may not give you the outcome you are expecting. You must go to an approved or designated school and be in a designated program to be eligible for funding from Manitoba Student Aid.
School / Program Desgination Search

Ineligible Programs

Some programs are not considered for designation. These include the following:

  • programs that are less than 12 weeks in length
  • adult basic education
  • upgrading
  • literacy training
  • high school equivalency (GED)
  • college and university preparatory programs
  • English as a second language (ESL) programs
  • pre-training programs
  • formal instruction or practical training required for the acceptance in a professional corporation life skills program
  • hobby, self-interest and self-development programs.

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of complaints and issues can be addressed by your office?

Our office can only respond directly to complaints that fall within the scope of The Private Vocational Institutions Act and its regulation. The Private Vocational Institutions Branch is best able to resolve issues where it has the specific legal authority to do so. This is particularly the case when a complaint relates to a situation where the institution has signed a written contract, agreeing to provide specific goods, services or training.  You are entitled to the things contained in your written enrolment agreement and in the institution's brochures or student handbook, at the time you signed your enrolment contract. The institution is required to deliver the program as registered. Specific issues that can be addressed are:

  • breach of enrollment contract
  • change to start and end dates of the program
  • changes to program duration in hours
  • refund calculation, and not issuing a refund within 30 days
  • attendance and withdrawal requirements
  • program costs
  • misleading advertising
  • confirming whether an instructor meets the requirements of legislation
  • inadequate equipment or equipment in disrepair.
What type of complaint issues cannot be addressed by your office?

While the legislation outlines key policies that PVIs must have in place, each school develops their own student handbook governing internal policies.  These are not regulated by government. The institution must provide students with a copy of their student handbook at the time of enrolment. Students are encouraged to review this information in detail before they sign the contract, to ensure they can abide by the requirements.

Schools set their own internal policies regarding:

  • hours of attendance, lateness, absences and make-up time
  • student conduct and circumstances that would lead to suspensions or expulsions
  • dress code
  • entrance requirements
  • completion requirements and appeals on grades
  • tuition payment plans and payment collection
  • sexual harassment.

Complaints related to the above issues should be resolved through the school's internal dispute resolution process. 

How can I get a copy of my transcript?

Under the regulations that govern PVIs, institutions are required to keep student records for a period of seven years. Students must contact the school directly for transcripts, as the government is not required to keep copies.

PVIs are not required to issue your transcript unless your contracted fees have been paid in full and you have successfully completed all program requirements. PVIs must issue a transcript to you free of charge.  Schools may charge for additional copies of a diploma.

What is the difference between 'registration' and 'accreditation'?

Unlike registration, which is a government-facilitated process, accreditation of PVIs in Manitoba may be done by associations outside of government.  Institutional accreditation is not a requirement for registration as a PVI in Manitoba.

Program accreditation is a formal content-review process that assesses programs against a specific set of standards. It provides a professional assessment of the quality of the educational programs offered by the training agencies. Program accreditation also encourages improvements to meet the rapid changes in industry. A major objective is to identify programs that meet skill standards, stimulate curriculum improvements, encourage program quality assurance and offer up-to-date training facilities.

In Manitoba, program accreditation may be facilitated by government or government bodies (e.g., the Provincial Apprenticeship and Certification Board for provincial apprenticeship programs) or conducted by associations outside of government. It may be a requirement for registration of individual programs, depending on the nature of the program.

Tuition Tax Receipts

Your PVI may be authorized to issue tax receipts for eligible tuition fees. Please contact them directly for a copy of your T2202A.

Canada Revenue - Eligible tuition fees