Private Music Option
New for September 2017
Through the Private Music Option students can obtain up to four additional credits beyond the minimum 30 credits required for provincial graduation. Additional credits for Grades 9 (12G), 10 (22G), 11 (32G), and 12 (42G) can be earned upon successful completion of Royal Conservatory of Canada or Conservatory Canada exams. Course codes related to the Private Music Option are listed in the 2017-2018 Music Subject Table Handbook.
Private Music Option New Guidelines
- The Private Music Option is recognized only as additional credits beyond the minimum 30 credits required for high school graduation. Beginning September 2017 the Private Music Option will no longer be recognized to fulfill graduation requirements.
- A student may claim the additional Private Music Option credit in any Senior Years level provided the minimum music standing for that level has been attained.
- Additional Private Music Option credits do not need to be claimed individually or consecutively. For example, a student may claim four additional credits for all grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 upon successful completion of the highest music standing listed for Grade 12 (42G).
- To claim the additional Private Music Option credit, a Royal Conservatory of Canada or Conservatory of Canada certificate of standing must be presented to the school.
- Appendix A is used to determine the required practical and theory exams and levels needed for each Private Music Option additional credit for Grades 9 (12G), 10 (22G), 11 (32G), and 12 (42G).
- Students will receive an “S” for “Standing” upon successful completion of the Private Music Option credit. A percentage mark will not be recorded.
Please note that as of September 2016 the Royal Conservatory of Music Theory levels have been renamed to align with practical examination levels and the new RCM Theory Syllabus, 2016 Edition.