International Education Partnerships

Thinking About Teaching in a Manitoba Affiliated School Overseas?

Are you interested in teaching in a Manitoba affiliated school overseas or in a Manitoba affiliated program overseas? The decision to live and work overseas should not be taken lightly, as transitioning to a new climate, culture and language of a foreign country can be overwhelming. (See Living abroad – A Canadian's guide to working, studying, volunteering or retiring to a foreign country for guidance.) However, with the right mindset and a realistic understanding of teaching in an affiliated school, teaching overseas can be very rewarding.

The following frequently asked questions may help you when deciding to teach overseas.

What is an affiliated school overseas?

Manitoba works with educational partners overseas to make our grades K-12 curricula available to students in other countries. These schools ask to associate with the Province of Manitoba as an affiliated school or program. A Manitoba affiliated school offers the Manitoba school curriculum at all grade levels of the institution. A Manitoba affiliated program offers the Manitoba school curriculum at certain grade levels only.

What is an MOU?

An MOU is short for Memorandum of Understanding. This is the formal agreement that is in place between the Province of Manitoba and an individual school in another country. The MOU allows the overseas school to teach portions of the Manitoba school curriculum. It requires all affiliated schools or affiliated programs to employ teachers who hold a Manitoba teaching certificate. The intent of most of the agreements is to enable graduates to be eligible for a Manitoba high school graduation diploma with the prospect of entry into post-secondary institutions in Manitoba or other provinces/territories of Canada and elsewhere.

What type of affiliation agreements are there?

Manitoba currently considers affiliations based upon two program models: the International Program and the Blended Program.

  • An International Program uses Manitoba curriculum for all courses at all grade levels of the school. All course instruction is delivered in the English language, with the exception of second language courses. An international K-8 program must meet all Manitoba program requirements and subject area time allotments in the classroom. An international high school program (Grade 9 to 12) must include compulsory and optional courses consistent with Manitoba high school graduation requirements. Grade 12 students must also write required provincial standards tests (examinations) in Mathematics and English Language Arts.
  • A Blended Program allows for the delivery of Manitoba curriculum in combination with local curriculum. This arrangement exists in circumstances where the local educational authority mandates that students must complete local course or program requirements. In a blended K-8 program, a minimum of 50% of the curriculum offered must be Manitoba curriculum. A blended high school program (Grade 9 to 12) leads to dual diplomas in which a student meets local as well as Manitoba requirements. Students must complete a minimum of 30 credits and meet all program requirements to be eligible to receive a Manitoba high school diploma.
How long is a typical school year in a Manitoba affiliated school or program?

Manitoba affiliated schools and programs typically follow Manitoba requirements with respect to the annual school calendar with allowances for local culture and norms concerning school closures and holidays. The school year normally follows that of Manitoba, that is, September to June, although there are exceptions.

How well can students in affiliated schools and programs understand English?

Affiliated schools offering high school programming must ensure that students develop a level of proficiency in the English language acceptable to Manitoba for a Manitoba high school graduation diploma. English language proficiency is essential for success at Manitoba and other Canadian universities and colleges and is an important consideration for admission. To this end, it is expected that schools will provide ongoing and consistent access and usage of English language materials in print, audio-visual, and electronic formats. In the event that there are concerns about the level of English language proficiency, Manitoba may require that schools make additional provisions including scheduling extra time for English language instruction, establishing preparatory program(s), and providing a range of extracurricular activities in English.

Who typically teaches in a Manitoba affiliated school/program?

Ensuring the successful implementation and delivery of the Manitoba curriculum requires capable and professionally-trained educators. To that end, all Manitoba affiliated schools and programs are required to employ a principal and teachers who are certified by Manitoba.

What if I donít have Manitoba certification?

It is a prospective teacher’s responsibility to obtain Manitoba certification. A Manitoba teaching certificate may be awarded to teachers who have been certified in other Canadian provinces and fulfill the application requirements while still in Canada (i.e. before departing Canada for the affiliated school or program overseas). Important information and application forms about the certification process for teachers certified in another province in Canada can be found by visiting Certified Teacher in Another Province within Canada.

Will my professional experience in an affiliated school or program count when I return to Manitoba?

Yes! Your professional experience in an affiliated school can apply to your professional teaching record when you return to Manitoba. In the case of teaching in an affiliated program, be certain that you are teaching in affiliated grades. These are listed in the MOU with the partnering school.

What about teacher professional development?

Manitoba affiliated schools and programs must designate a minimum of five (5) days of professional development within the school calendar year. Professional development opportunities must be provided to principals and teachers to ensure currency with the Manitoba curriculum, instruction and assessment strategies.

How can I learn about teaching opportunities in Manitoba affiliated schools and programs?

Manitoba Education is NOT responsible for teacher recruitment, teacher hiring or teacher contracts. Many Manitoba affiliated schools and programs advertise on their school websites. A current list of school websites can be found on the Affiliated Schools web page. Some schools employ a Manitoba-based recruiting service who places ads in local jobsites such as or Workopolis.

How much can I hope to earn teaching overseas?

Manitoba is NOT responsible for teacher contracts with affiliated schools and programs. Each affiliated school or program will outline its own remuneration policy with potential teachers, including details of the proposed benefit package. This might include such items as accommodation, utilities, meals, health coverage, travel expenses, vacation and other leave, or performance bonuses. Applicants are also advised to inquire about teaching expectations, for example: What classes and grade levels will you be teaching? Will you receive a planning period(s)? What are the administration practices and protocols at the school?

Who do I contact if I have concerns about my contract?

As affiliated schools and programs assume all responsibilities and costs of employing appropriate staff, contract concerns should be addressed directly with the school.

Additional Resources

Back to Top Arrow