Repaying student loans | Manitoba Student Aid

COVID-19 Repayment Updates

When did the Government of Manitoba suspend payments on student loans?

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Manitoba suspended automatic payments on provincial (Manitoba) student loans from April 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020.

When is repayment of my student loans going to resume?

The Government of Manitoba intends to resume repayment of Manitoba student loans on October 1st, 2020.

Check with National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) to confirm when your repayment on your federal (Canada) student loan will resume.

Can I still make payments during the repayment pause period (between March 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020)?

Yes, you can continue to make manual payments during the pause period through online or telephone payments, or by cheque. However, all Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) payments will continue to be suspended until September 30, 2020.

Will my Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) payments resume after the repayment pause period?

Yes, effective October 1, 2020, PAD payments are expected to resume as per your agreed upon payment schedule prior to March 31, 2020.

  • If you opted for monthly PAD payments, your new payment schedule will continue
  • If you opted to make online payments (rather than have PAD payments), you will continue to be responsible to make your required minimum monthly payment each month.

Please speak with a Loans Services Representative to make changes to your existing payment plan and schedule, or to update your banking information.

If I am returning to full-time post secondary education, but not applying for another student loan, do I still need to submit a Confirmation of Return to School form?

If you are enrolled in full-time studies, are not applying for additional student financial support, and your loan is/will be entering into repayment, you must submit a Confirmation of Return to School form ( 521 KB) to Manitoba Student Aid in order for your loan to be placed back into non-repayment status. If you have a federal student loan, you will need to submit a Schedule 2 form to the National Student Loans Service Centre.

What if my school is not open to me to get the Confirmation of Return to School (CRS) form signed, what can I do?

If you are unable to obtain a CRS form from your educational institution in-person, MSA will accept a completed Confirmation of Return to School form ( 521 KB) by email from your school. Completed forms can be emailed to: CRS forms are available on our website on the forms page.

If you are not able to reach a representative of your school to complete the form, Manitoba Student Aid will accept an official record of enrolment from your school that clearly indicates:

  • Your name
  • School and program of study
  • Course load percentage or number of registered courses per term
  • Program Start date
  • Program End date

If I am struggling financially and not able to repay my student loans when repayment resumes (October 1, 2020), what can I do?

Please contact Manitoba Student Aid to discuss debt management options with a Loans Services Representative. Manitoba Student Aid will be resuming the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) in October 2020, and RAP applications will be available on our website in September.

When can I submit a Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) application?

Applications will be available on our website in September, with the RAP term beginning effective October 1, 2020. Applications must include the required proof of income in order to be processed.

Manitoba Student Aid will accept copies of bank statements, Employment Insurance (EI) printouts, and other forms to verify proof of income as long as the document clearly shows: borrower’s name, account number, and gross income.

Do I have to declare my Canada Emergency Relief Benefit (CERB) or Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) payments on my RAP application?

All clients who are applying to the Repayment Assistance Plan are required to provide proof of income for the time period specified on the application. Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Canada Emergency Student Benefit and other forms of COVID-related financial support are considered taxable income and must be declared on the application.

Manitoba Student Aid will accept copies of bank statements, Employment Insurance (EI) printouts, and other forms to verify proof of income as long as the document clearly shows: borrower’s name, account number, and gross income.

Status Report | Manitoba Student Aid

New Information

COVID-19 Updates

T4A Slips

Students who received a Manitoba Bursary or a Canada Student Grant for Services & Equipment in 2020 will receive a T4A slip from Manitoba Student Aid (MSA). T4A’s will be mailed out at the end of February.

To avoid delays, please ensure that we have your current address on file. You can make changes to your address through the Manitoba Student Aid online portal.

Note: MSA does not issue T4A’s for Manitoba Student Loans.

Interest Paid Statements

Since Manitoba Student Loans are currently interest free, no Interest Paid Statements are issued.

If you are having trouble repaying your loan, you can apply for repayment assistance.

In person service is not available at this time.

We are pleased to support you by phone toll free at 1-800-204-1685 or 204-945-6321. You may also send an email through our website, or check for status updates on your student aid through MYSAO.