Professional Certification

For Internationally Educated Teachers

For Internationally Educated Teachers Banner

Manitoba Education System

Teaching is a regulated profession in Canada. Each province and territory has its own regulator and certification requirements.

If you hold certification in another province in Canada go to Canadian Educated Teacher.

Manitoba Regulator
The Professional Certification Unit (PCU) receives all applications for certification in Manitoba as either a teacher or a clinician.

Certification Requirement
To work as a teacher in the Manitoba public school system, you must hold a Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate or a Provisional Professional Teaching Certificate (valid for three [3] years).

For more information about Teaching in Manitoba, please consult Teaching in Manitoba: Information for Internationally Educated Teachers (Adobe PDF document 303 KB)

Requirement for Internationally Educated Teachers
Effective July 1, 2016, Internationally Educated Applicants applying for a teaching certificate in Manitoba must first obtain an assessment of their academic credentials from World Education Services (WES). Please refer to WES Assessment of Academic Credentials for more information.

A Statement of Eligibility (SOE) may be issued to an applicant from outside Canada after an assessment of her/his teaching credentials. An SOE is not a teaching certificate but it is proof of the applicant's eligibility for a Manitoba Teaching Certificate. Once the applicant obtains a Work Visa, becomes a Canadian Citizen or achieves landed immigrant status, she/he presents the SOE to Professional Certification Unit (PCU). A criminal records check will be required at that time before issuing the certificate cited on the SOE: permanent or provisional professional teaching certificate.

The information provided on this website is subject to change. For more specific information, please contact the Professional Certification Unit.

Continue to “Becoming a Teacher