Distance Learning

Independent Study Option

Summer Services

Can I register and complete an ISO course in July and August?
  • You have one year from the date of registration to complete a course. The Distance Learning Unit is open Monday-Friday, 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m.
  • In order to understand the time commitment needed to complete an Independent Study Option course, you should know that a one-credit course is designed to take approximately 110 hours of class time.
  • As a general guideline, you should also count on spending half as much time again for reading textbooks, completing assignments, and studying for tests and exams.
  • You may need to spend approximately 165 hours to complete a course. This time is a guideline and will vary according to course content, study habits, marking, mailing and booking exams etc. You should assume that a half-credit course will take half as much time as a one-credit course.
The Registration Form asks for a Facilitator's Name and email? Who is this?
  • Ideally, students should be completing the Registration Form with the assistance of the Facilitator. Most schools assign a School Facilitator to oversee the students that are registered in ISO courses. Often this is the Guidance or Resource teacher or it may be the Vice Principal. If you are unsure who your facilitator is contact your school, Vice Principal or Principal. You will need to list the Facilitator's school or division issued email address. Facilitators will receive emailed confirmation of enrollment, as well as communication regarding student progress.
  • Authorization is required as taking this course may affect your schedule/timetable for the next school year.
  • It is the student's responsibility to disclose to the school that they are registering in an ISO course. Failure to do so may result in withdrawal from the course without refund.
Who approves the Attending a Manitoba School Registration/Admission Form if I am changing schools during the summer?
  • Contact the NEW school that you will be attending for authorization and your Facilitator's contact information.
  • See the statements above in regards to who is able to provide authorization.
Will I have access to a tutor/marker during July and August?
  • During the months of July and August access to your tutor/marker will be limited as many markers take a vacation during the summer months. Contact your tutor/marker or the ISO office for availability of your tutor/marker during this time period.
My school did not authorize for me to write my exam during the summer and the Summer Exam Request form requires a signature from my school. How do I go about obtaining permission to write my exam?
  • Contact your school division board office to attain a signature from an Assistant Superintendent, Superintendent or equivalent to authorize to write the exam by signing the School Summer Exam Request Form.
  • Contact your school Vice Principal or Principal by email to request permission to write the exam. Request that he/she forward an email to distance.learning@gov.mb.ca indicating their authorization.
  • School-based students wanting to write their examinations during July and August do not require school permission to write examinations at the ISO Examination Centres in Winkler or Winnipeg. Complete the non-attending examination request form.
Top of page