Distance Learning

Independent Study Option

Getting Started – Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I get textbooks and how much do they cost?

Textbooks may be obtained from Manitoba Learning Resource Centre at 1-866-771-6822 (toll-free) or by fax 204-483-5041.

Cost varies, depending on the subject and the number of texts required. Refer to each specific course description for a list of required resources.

How will I be evaluated?

Most courses consist of modules or sequences. The number of these varies from course to course. Each module covers a section of the course and contains several lessons. Students may be evaluated by a variety of different methods in an ISO course. These include projects, tests, assignments, essays and/or examinations. An explanation regarding the evaluation is found in the course introduction, as well as the descriptions on the website.

What do I do if I am having difficulty with my course(s)?

Courses are designed for students to be able to work independently. When assistance is required for assignments and/or subject content, consider the following options:

If you are attending school, seek help through the Independent Study Option (ISO) School Facilitator at your school. Frequently, additional expertise is available within the school.

If you are not attending school, you should try to find a study partner. A study partner can be a parent, teacher, another student, sibling, relative, or any member of the your home or community who would be willing to assist you. Since a distance learning course does not involve a classroom teacher, a study partner may give you some good ideas and provide valuable assistance and encouragement.

Upon registration you will be given the name, email address and toll free number of an ISO Tutor/Marker. This subject specialist will be available for periodic consultation should you require clarification on assignments. There is a time limit that the Tutor/Marker is able to spend with you therefore use this resource only as required.

Who marks my work?

Upon registration in an ISO course, each student is assigned to a Tutor/Marker. ISO Tutor/Markers are Manitoba certified teachers.

Where do I write my exams?

As a result of the challenges posed in delivering education during the pandemic, a decision has been made to suspend the Independent Study Option (ISO) Course exams effective March 29, 2021. See Exams and Marks for further information.

All students must write exams in a supervised setting.


  • Students attending school should write examinations at their respective schools.
  • Exams will automatically be mailed to the school once all assignments up to the point of the exam have been received by the DLU.
  • Students should arrange a date and time with their School Facilitator to write their exam under the supervision of the school.
  • During extended school breaks, students may write at the Winnipeg or Winkler locations. With school approval, students may write under the supervision of a proctor.


Students not attending school should write their examinations at one of the following settings:

  • Winnipeg: 1567 Dublin Avenue. Examination sittings take place on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 1pm and 7pm.
  • Winkler: 500-555 Main Street. Exam sitting availability is dependent on facility and staff availability at either 9am or 1pm.
  • Examination Proctor: An examination proctor is an individual selected by the student and approved by the ISO Consultant to supervise the writing of the student's examination.
    • This individual may be someone in a professional field (a teacher, retired teacher, university or college professor, pastor, Commissioner of Oaths, etc.)
    • A proctor may not be a member of the student's immediate or extended family. Student's current/previous private tutor or ISO Tutor/Marker will not be approved to proctor ISO exams.
How do I receive my final marks?

Final marks for students attending school are mailed to the student's home address and to the ISO school facilitator. During the summer months, the duplicate statement(s) will be mailed to the school ISO facilitator during the first week of September.

Statement of Standing for final marks for students not attending school, will be mailed to the student's home address.

Students may obtain their unofficial marks via the Learning Management System (LMS).

Top of page