Manitoba-Québec Six-Month Student Exchange Program
Brochure ( 520 KB)
Application Form 2013-2014 ( 4.16 MB)*
Interview Questionnaire ( 572 KB)
School Division Participation Request Form ( 243 KB)
Participant Guide ( 1.88 MB)
School Guide ( 1.78 MB)
* PDF Format (please use only if you cannot use the fillable MS Word form)
Application Form 2013-2014 ( 785 KB)
The Manitoba-Québec Six-Month Student Exchange Program is offered to students enrolled in the French Immersion Program who will be in Grade 10 or 11 next September. Students with strong skills in the Basic French course may also apply. Manitoba Students are paired with Québec students for a six-month period – three months in Manitoba and three months in Québec.
- Have the Manitoba students improve their French language skills, discover a new culture and share their culture.
- Have the Québec students improve their English language skills, discover a new culture and share their culture.
- Encourage cross-cultural exchange.
- Encourage bilingualism.
- Expose students to another school system.
How the Program Works
From September to December, Québec students live with their Manitoba host families and both students attend school in Manitoba. In turn, starting in February the Manitoba students live with their Québec host families and both students attend school in Québec, for the same length of time and under the same conditions.
Terms and Conditions of Participation
- School divisions, schools and parents must consent to participate in the program.
- Schools must interview candidates and their families and select the participants.
- A family must be able to adequately accommodate the Québec students for three months.
- If successful with pairing a student, each family member residing in the household, over 18 years old, must undergo a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check before the beginning of the exchange.
Participant Selection Criteria
The candidates must have:
- an interest in the program and the determination to complete it
- a solid academic record or a recommendation from the school and parents
- an openness to other cultures
- the ability to adapt
- a mature attitude
- a good knowledge of French or a great desire to learn
- good English language skills
- a willingness to live in the host community
- Participating families must pay part of the airfare as well as living expenses for their visiting student.
- The government of Manitoba, Bureau de l’éducation française, covers the remaining round-trip travel costs from Winnipeg to the host city in Québec.
- Tuition costs are covered by both provinces based on reciprocity.
- The student and his or her parents are to fill out the 2013-2014 Application Form electronically. The student must then submit the application form to the person responsible for the exchange program at the school (school coordinator) no later than February 15.
- The school coordinator must advise the school division of the student's potential participation in the exchange program and ask the division to fill out the School Division Participation Request Form ( 243 KB).
- Upon receiving the duly completed application from the student, the school coordinator will interview the student at school, and conduct a home interview with the parents.
- After the interview process is complete, the committee will evaluate the candidate and decide whether or not the candidate is qualified to participate in the program. If so, the school coordinator will forward the student's file to Manitoba Education.
- The file of the student recommended by the school shall consist of two duly completed documents: the 2013-2014 Application Form ( 4.16 MB) and the Interview Questionnaire ( 572 KB).
- For each student recommended by the school, the school coordinator shall forward to the program coordinator at the Bureau de l'éducation française a Division of Manitoba Education, four complete copies of the student's file, including the original. He or she shall keep a copy for reference.
- The complete file must be submitted to Manitoba Education before the end of March, 2013.
The Manitoba participants will be paired with the Québec participants in April. Each participant will be informed about his or her counterpart in May.
Only one family member a year is allowed to participate in the six-month exchange program.
It is up to the student and his or her school to make the necessary arrangements to compensate for the schooling that may be missed while he or she is away.
For more information please contact:
Bureau de l'éducation française Division
Toll Free: 1-800-282-8069, ext. 6024