Education and Training
Early Childhood Development Initiative
The Early Childhood Development Initiative (ECDI) is provided to assist school divisions in their efforts to provide intersectoral services for pre-school children (birth to 5 years of age) to increase readiness for school entry. ECDI is designed to support school divisions in responding to their local needs and priorities and to provide, in partnership with parents, the community, and Healthy Child Manitoba, programs that facilitate readiness to learn prior to school entry. The ECDI may not be used to fund the operation of child care programs.
As of the 2014-2015 school year, ECDI funding may be used to support nursery and kindergarten programming, based on local circumstances and with Deputy Minister approval.
Funding Formula: Funding of Schools 2017-2018 School Year
Information regarding the revised reporting process for ECDI is available on the School and School Division Planning website.
The following is a list of some examples of initiatives currently being implemented with ECDI support.
- Literacy-focused (i.e. Mother Goose, Rock and Read, Literacy Links)
- Parent/Child programs supporting healthy child development
- Resource package for parents of pre-school children
- Local capacity building to address pre-school needs
- Pre-school screening
- Staff: to co-ordinate pre-school programs or implement new programs
For additional ECDI information please contact Marilyn Robinson at 204-945-6875 or toll free at