Education and Training
Assessment and Evaluation
Provincial Assessment Program
The Provincial Assessment Program supports learning by
- providing feedback to students, teachers and parents about student learning
- informing instructional planning and helping to determine the need for changes or student specific interventions
- providing system-wide information that assists in identifying trends and making decisions about resources and support
- providing the public with general information about student achievement to sustain confidence in the education system.
Provincial assessment programming falls into four categories:
Grade 3 Assessment in Reading, Lecture and Numeracy and Grade 4 Assessment in French Immersion Lecture
- Classroom-based assessment of students early in the school year in competencies in reading and numeracy
- Results used to communicate to parents and to support instruction at the student, classroom, school, school division and provincial levels
Middle Years Assessment of Key Competencies in Mathematics, Reading Comprehension, Expository Writing, and Student Engagement
- Classroom-based, formative (assessment for and as learning) assessment of students in student engagement, number skills, number sense, expository writing and reading comprehension
- Assessment (for, as) process used to engage students in their learning
- Summative results based on achievement as of the last two weeks of January used to communicate to parents and to the Department, and to support learning
Grade 12 Provincial Tests in language arts and mathematics
- Curriculum-based assessments developed by teachers in collaboration with the department
- Administered at the end of each semester
- Marked locally by teachers according to marking guidelines and training offered by the department
- Tests count for 30% of students’ final grades for language arts, for Applied Mathematics and for Pre-Calculus Mathematics, and for 20% of final grades for Essential Mathematics
Participation in national and international assessment
The latest Canadian report from the PISA program is available on the Council of Ministers of Education website.
The latest Canadian report from the PCAP program is available on the Council of Ministers of Education website.